Pages

October 19, 2010

Apple pie


Apple pie is a once a year thing in my house.  Maybe twice if I get conned into giving one away.  It usually marks the start of a full out apple assault.  Well that part is still to come.  It’s in the plans.  I’m awaiting a food mill.  I should just buy one.  I hate waiting.  Oh well, I’m thinking about it!  Apple sauce, apple butter, apple jelly!  Damn that’s a lot of work.

This is my standard recipe, I found it a few years back.  I think it’s delicious, you should too.  It’s from the Style at Home webpage oddly enough, I’m not sure why I ever looked there but it’s working well.

Classic Apple Pie
I start making the dough the day before.
You could also try brown sugar instead of white and maybe a handful or raisins or cranberries.
Crust:
2 1/2 c flour
1/2 t salt
1 c cold butter, cubed
1/4 c ice water
3 T sour cream (I used yogurt)
1 egg of egg wash
2 T coarse sugar
In a large bowl, whisk flour with salt.  Using a pastry blender cut in butter until there are only fine crumbs with a few larger pieces.
In a liquid measure whisk water in with sour cream.  Drizzle over flour mixture and toss briefly with a fork adding a little more water if necessary until ragged dough forms.
Divide dough in half and press into 2 disks, wrap.  Refrigerate until chilled, 30 minutes or longer.
Filling:
8 apples
3/4 c sugar
2 T cornstarch
1 1/2 t cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 t salt
2 T butter
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Peel and core apples, slice to 1/4 inch, enough to make 8 cups.  Place in a large bowl.  In a medium bowl toss together sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.  Add to apples and toss until coated.
On a floured surface roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness and wide enough to cover a 9 inch pie plate.  Fit to pie plate, trim and fill with apples. Dot the top with butter.  Roll out the other pie dough.  Fit over filling, trim to leave 2 cm overhang.  Fold upper layer of pastry under pastry on rim.  Flute edges to seal, cover with light egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar.

Bake in oven at 450 for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350 and bake until filling is bubbly and thickened, apples are tender and crust is golden, 55-65 minutes.  Let cool to room temperature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment