Pages

July 24, 2011

Canning 2011 - Round 1

I did my first load of canning a few days ago.  I decided this year I really wanted to focus on playing the jams and jellies, they are the most fun.  I spent the afternoon in the kitchen doing batch after batch and loving every second of it.

I started with a classic, triple berry jam.  I happened to have all three berries fresh in my kitchen, yes an anomaly for most kitchens but with the weather the Fraser Valley has been having, well until we got home, everything was late.  The rain and cold kept the berries at bay, in fact the raspberries we u-picked could have used a day in the sun.  The raspberries we picked from a friend however were perfect.  The triple berry jam was strawberries, blueberries and raspberries and turned out fantastic!  I didn't use pectin but instead followed the Jumbleberry Jam from Well Preserved, which boils the jam until it's set.  Yes saving money!

The rest of the canning consisted of:
Earl Grey Peach Jam - Cetro package recipe for peach jam, in half with three earl grey tea bags steeped in it for one hour.
Raspberry Jam - Silly me forgot to strain some of the seeds out, so they are a little (lot) excessive.
Strawberry Balsamic Thyme Jam - I used the Serious Eats recipe and preserved into 125mL jars, perfect for crackers and cheese, which is exactly what I intend!
Raspberry Peach Jam - My favourite combination by far. I think I used the Certo recipe from their website, but I can't be totally sure.  Bad me.
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam - I made this jam from David Lebovitz's recipe.  It turned out good, but my least favourite of the bunch.  Not because it's bad, but because I don't care for strawberry rhubarb (Shane loves it.)
Raspberry Champagne Jelly - I had a crazy idea to make this jelly but no recipe to make it work!  I ended up raspberry jelly recipe from the Certo package (liquid pectin I believe) and dumping in a 200mL bottle of Martini (the Italian sparkling wine), so technically not champagne but stfu.  The results were amazing, it's a favourite for sure.

What are your canning plans this season?

No comments:

Post a Comment