Pages

May 16, 2012

Post Mexico-Pre Work Break

With a lucky two day break before returning to work, I was determined to make the most of it.  In our absense the weather turned wonderful and Monday was a sunny 28 degrees. (perfect!!)  Mom and I took a little hike up teapot hill, where the ferns were unfurling and the light was dancing between the bright green leaves of spring.  The birds sung a song strung together by the wind in the trees and the trickle of heavy streams.

After our quick hike we dipped our feet in the freezing lake and made plans to come back with a picnic for dinner.  I spent hours in the garden pulling weeds and planting baskets.  In between the cosmos and the sweet peas I made a quick potato salad.  Later that afternoon we drove up to the cool shade of the lake. 

On Tuesday Mom and I drove to Hope for the Mount Hope Lookout.  The grouse grind of Hope if you will.  The trail was fantastic, my favouirte of the trails in my mental bank.
If I didn't see mountains like this all the time, I would have been singing my appreciation at a sight so beautiful.
At the summit of the hike there was a log book to write in, thousands of entries over the last few years.
Back in my garden things are in bloom.  In one week the garden took on a life of its own.  The rose bush started blooming, the rhododendrons both purple and pink exploded.  The apple tree took on life and looks like an apple tree again, the raspberries threaten to take over the backyard (at least there will be a lot of raspberries this summer!)
To celebrate summer I broke out the barbeque.  
+Grilled asparagus
+Honey-Mint Chicken (ack! so! good!)
+Alyssa's best coleslaw (recipe to follow) 
And for dessert, rhubarb oat and pecan crumble (rustic fruit desserts) + goat cheese ice cream with balsamic roasted strawberries.

Alyssa's Coleslaw
+1/2 small head of green cabbage, sliced very thin
+1 carrot peeled and shredded
+2 green onions thinly sliced
+2 radishes thinly sliced
+2 sprigs of dill finely chopped
+zest of one lemon
+1/2 cup mayo
+1/2 tsp salt
+1/4 tsp pepper
+1 Tbsp sugar
+1/16 tsp chili powder
+ 1/16 tsp paprika
+1 Tbsp white vinegar

Add cabbage through lemon zest to big bowl.  In small bowl combine mayo to vinegar, mix.  Add as much mayo mix to cabbage mix as necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment