Pages

January 23, 2009


I am looking forward to a day tomorrow alone with my sourdough starter and I. With only silence and my thoughts to accompany us. Maybe a longing glance in the direction of the four litres of ice cream smirking in our freezer. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Just as promised. A little something simply delicious. I was craving a custard-like texture but I didn't want to wait. Zabaglione sounded perfect. I knew I needed to have something firm to eat it with and remembered this cake took only 20 minutes to bake. A vanilla genoise I've made before. Tart cranberries and sweet zabaglione marry perfectly.

To make the cranberry compote I stewed fresh cranberries in a simple syrup on low for 20 minutes. The tartness the cranberries perfectly balanced the sweetness from the zabaglione.
The zabaglione is something I've been making my entire career and here I used an orange liqueur to make the flavour in the cake more prominent.

Vanilla Genoise
Adapted from here

3 eggs, separated
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. vanilla
2 T. hot liqueur (I used Grand Marnier)
2 T. melted butter
1/2 c. AP flour

In mixer combine egg yolks, 1/2 c. sugar, salt and vanilla and beat on high with whisk until thick, 3 minutes. Reduce speed and add warmed liqueur. Scrape bowl and again whip on high until thick. Fold in flour and butter. Set aside.

In clean bowl whip egg whites on medium until frothy, add remaining sugar. Whip until stiff and fold into reserved batter. Spread into 9x9 inch pan lined with parchment. Bake for 20 minutes at 350
ºf, until golden brown on top and springs back when touched lightly.


No comments:

Post a Comment