Pages

October 20, 2010

10 weeks of Christmas Cookies


It’s definitely time to start my 10 weeks of Christmas cookies.  I just saw this idea a couple days ago and loved it because that same day I had picked out my Christmas box cookies.  
Last year I started this project and ended up giving away 12 boxes to the people that we wouldn’t see on Christmas.  They were given great reviews so I knew I had to expand this year.  I also needed to put more forethought into it, I ended up doing a lot in the last two days.  So this year I will start early, testing begins now and I”d like to have the last of the Christmas boxes sent away by the 19th of December.  
This week: Chai spice biscotti.  My own and absolute favorite biscotti I’ve ever had.  More crisp like a cookie and very flavorful.  Enjoy.

Chai Biscotti
This recipe makes only 15 or so biscotti.  It’s enough for our household of 2 but not enough to give away.  You can easily double and triple the recipe, but if you do, make sure to split the dough into halves or thirds respectively before shaping and baking.
If you take out the chai and spices you have a completely blank canvas.  Try adding 1/2 a cup of cocoa powder, chocolate chips and pecans or pistachios and candied ginger or espresso powder and walnuts with dark chocolate drizzled on top.  I use this recipe many different ways.
1 c + 2 T flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/4 t allspice
1/4 t ginger
tea from 2 chai tea bags (at least 2 t)
3 T butter
1/2 c sugar
1 egg
2 oz white chocolate, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place silpat on baking sheet.
Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, allspice, ginger and chai tea in a bowl and mix to incorporate.
In another bowl cream butter and sugar on medium speed until creamy.  Add egg and mix well. 
With mixer on low add flour mix slowly. 
On silpat shape into log 12 inches long and 2 inches wide.  Bake for 35 minutes.  Cool for 5. 
Transfer to a cutting board and cut into individual biscotti 3/4 inch wide.  Place biscotti on baking sheet cut side.  Bake for an additional 8-10 minutes.  Cool on rack and drizzle with white chocolate.


No comments:

Post a Comment