Pages

October 31, 2010

Halloween Cupcakes


Happy Halloween everyone!

Even though halloween in not usually a holiday I get into I decided to try these candy corn cupcakes.  I made these about a month ago and it totally bombed.  I didn't have a good cupcake recipe.  I didn't have the necessary food dyes.  This time I went into it prepared.  I'm bringing these to a potluck at work so I made them mini (no one wants everyone to see them pig out on a huge cupcake.)  Plus after all that food, no one needs that much sugar (except for me!)



These are festive and cute and I'm glad I gave them another chance.

Candy Corn Cupcakes

For these cupcakes I used the Yellow Butter Cupcakes from my Rose's  Heavenly Cakes Book and they turned out really well.  Light and fluffy.  Perfect.


I halved the recipe so here we go.  (enough to make about 6 large cupcakes or 24 minis)

1 egg room temperature
1/3 c yogurt, divided
100 g cake flour
100 g superfine sugar
1/4 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
6 T, 85 g butter at room temperature

Start by lining 24 mini muffin tins with cupcake liners and preheating the oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl mix together egg, 1 1/2 T of yogurt and vanilla together until lightly combined.

In the bowl of a stand mixer mix all dry ingredients with flat beater on low speed for 30 seconds.  Add the butter and remaining (3.5 T) yogurt and mix on low speed until dry ingredients are moistened.  Raise the speed to medium and beat for 1 1/2 minutes.  Scrape down bowl.

On medium low add the egg in two parts beating on medium for 30 seconds between additions to strengthen the structure.  Use an ice cream scoop to fill cupcake liner about 3/4 full.

Bake for 15 minutes until golden on top and check with a toothpick.

Cool the cupcakes on wire rack before icing.

For the icing (you'll have extra for sure) unless you double the recipe for the cupcakes

185 g (13 T) butter at room temp
2 1/2 (75 g) egg whites at room temp
1/2 c sugar divided
2 T water
1/4 t + 1/16 t cream of tarter
1/2 t vanilla

In the bowl of a stand mixer beat butter alone until creamy (about 1 minute)

Pour egg whites into a large glass bowl and have handheld mixer ready.

In a small heavy saucepan stir together 1/4 c + 2 T of sugar and water until moistened.  Heat on low.

While the sugar is heating beat egg white until foamy, add cream of tarter and beat until soft peaks form then sprinkle in 2 T of sugar and beat until stiff peaks.  Keeping a eye on the sugar.

Bring sugar up to 248 degrees  and immediately start pouring into egg mixture in slow steady stream while beating on high.  Lower the speed to medium and continue to mix for 2 minutes.  Then let the meringue cool in the fridge for a few minutes.

Attach whisk beater to stand mixer.  Beat egg/sugar mixture into butter on medium high speed for 3 minutes.  Beat in vanilla.

This is where I divided the icing and mixed in the food colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment