Pages

October 15, 2010

Sourdough Muffins


Those muffins there were really only baked out of guilt.  You see I’ve had this starter I’ve been maintaining for 6 weeks, that I’ve only used three times.  I feed it everyday and constantly worry it’s not going to survive but hardly use it!  What a waste I thought.  Since we aren’t really the pancake kind and I have a beautiful loaf of bread in the freezer I thought I’d try muffins.  I took a loose recipe and made it work.  Only...I’d say it’s definitely a savory muffin.  The sourdough really makes it, well, cheesy.  I suppose it might have done better with a lot more sugar and maybe some sweeter berries, but it would go well with jalapenos and cheddar or thyme and rosemary.  I’ll give it another go yet.   But heres your template.
Sourdough muffins:
3/4 c ap flour
1/2 t baking soda
2 t salt
2 T sugar
3 T melted butter
1 egg
1 1/2 c sourdough starter
2 T yogurt or buttermilk
your add ins
Start by preheating the oven to 350 and greasing a muffin pan.
Mix the flour, baking soda, sugar and salt in a medium bowl.  Add remaining ingredients and mix briefly.  Spoon evenly into pan.  Bake 20 or so minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment