Pages

November 2, 2010

Snowdrop cookies


It’s time for week three of ten weeks of Christmas cookies.  I decided on snowdrop cookies, which I think are a classic during winter.  Around these parts however, there is no snow coming for a very long time.  We are lucky when we get snow here, maybe that’s why I look forward to it so much, it’s a treat when it comes.  Last year we had one day of snow.  One day, that’s it.  Here have an 10% chance of a white Christmas which I find is a very disheartening statistic.  So I try not to think about it and hope for the best.  If all else fails, eat a cookie.
Yesterday morning I woke up in a very good mood.  It was the first day, the start of the Christmas season.  I’m loving it!  I’m giddy every time I walk into a store.  Christmas is coming.  The chocolates are starting to appear on shelves, the lindor boxes, the chocolate oranges.  And this morning I got a text message “starbucks has their Christmas cups”  my knees nearly buckled I was so happy.  A Christmas fanatic I may be, hate me if you must but I’ll enjoy every last minute of it.


Chocolate Snowdrop Cookies
These have a wonderful crispy cracked exterior with a fudgey, dense and chewy interior.  These can satisfy your chocolate craving on multiple levels.
125g (4 oz) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
60g (1/2 c) butter
235g (1 1/2 c) flour
45g (1/2 c) dutch process cocoa powder 
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
4 eggs
500 g (2 c) sugar
1 t vanilla
280g (1 1/2 c) mini semisweet chocolate chips
60 g (1/2 c) icing sugar
Place chocolate and butter on top of a double broiler.  Heat stirring often until the two melt.  Set aside to cool slightly.  In a bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.
In a mixer or large bowl combine eggs, sugar and vanilla.  Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes until thick and light in colour.  Beat in the melted chocolate mixture until blended.  Add the dry ingredients and beat until incorporated.  Mix in the chocolate chips.  
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 or more hours until you can roll the dough into balls.  
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and line baking sheets with parchment or silpats.  Roll about a tablespoon of dough in your hands and then in icing sugar.  Place on prepared sheets about 3 inches apart.  In between batches put the dough back in the fridge to cool.  If you don’t, the dough will stick to your hands and become a huge mess.  

Bake for 13-17 minutes until the tops are puffed and crinkled and feel firm when lightly touched.  Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool.  These can last a few days at room temperature until the texture is compromised.  These can also be frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment