Pages

December 31, 2010

Peanut Butter Crispy Bars


So yes I realize it's New Year's Eve, and I realize your probably all sweet-ed out.  Maybe you think I'm crazy, but New Years Eve or not, when I crave peanut butter and chocolate, I make it.  Simple as that.  I'm not sure if I'm glad I did, I like everyone else, gained a few pounds this month and I thought I had more self control than I apparently do.  So now I can't stop thinking about this pan of bars in the fridge.  I've eaten double what I told myself I could eat already today, and they were just finished an hour ago.

Peanut Butter Crispy Bars


I'll admit I messed these up, that's why the pictures are so crummy.  I got impatient with waiting and turned my back on boiling sugar, it heated 10 degrees hotter than it should have so that made the bottom layer extra crispy.  It crackles in your mouth and tastes like caramel.  I'm not sure I like the mistake any better than the original (I made these in the summer) they're both really good.  The base stays together a lot better if you take it off at 235 F.


Crust
1 3/4 c rice crispies
50 g (1/4 c) sugar
3 Tbsp light corn syrup
45 g (3 Tbsp) butter, melted

Peanut Butter layer
5 oz milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 c creamy peanut butter (I used the natural kind)

Chocolate Layer
4 oz dark or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 tsp light corn syrup
60 g (4 Tbsp) butter

Line a 8 inch pan with tin foil and spray lightly with non stick coating.  Put cereal in a large bowl and set aside.  In a medium sized saucepan combine 1/4 cup of water, sugar and corn syrup.  Heat over medium heat and bring to a boil.  Insert a candy thermometer and wait for the syrup to reach 235 F, as soon as it does turn off the heat, mix in the butter and pour the mix into the rice crispies.  With your hands or a spatula evenly press the rice crispies into the pan.  Cool to room temperature while you make the next layer.

In a medium bowl suspended over a pot of simmering water, combine the chocolate and peanut butter.  Stir occasionally until the two are melted and smooth.  Pour the mixture over the cooled crust.  Put the pan in the refrigerator for an hour or until the peanut butter layer hardens.

Combine the chocolate, corn syrup and butter in a medium sized bowl and set it over a saucepan of simmering water.  Cook until the mixture is smooth then remove from heat.  Pour the chocolate over the peanut butter later.  I would tip the pan to spread the chocolate evenly, without disturbing the bottom layers.  Place the pan back in the fridge for an hour or until topping hardens.

Cut into squares, but keep air tight in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment