Pages

November 22, 2011

Peppermint Patties

I had been craving mint and chocolate like something mad.  Mint and chocolate, chocolate and mint, it was all I could think about!  Don't ask me what it is but chocolate and all it's pairings (peanut butter, raspberry, sea salt! Never together of course) have me by the tongue, I'm weak around them.  I've got at least five recipes saved for homemade mint chocolate candies in my pinterest, it was really only a matter of time.  I've made the candies before, with not quite as much success.  I've struggled with the consistency of the peppermint filling and with the chocolate!  This time I got it right, exactly like the candies you'll buy in the store.  This will definitely be the recipe I turn to when the next craving whacks me over the head.

With a jar full of peppermint patties in the fridge I moved on to the next logical step, baking them into something.  I chose brownies and all though they were good, they weren't anything worth sharing.  The brownies turned out crispy and thin and not as mint-y as I would have liked.  I wanted full and chewy with crunchy mint bites throughout.  I'll need to go back to the drawing board with this one, or to my perfect brownies.


Peppermint Patties


Makes: 20 patties


500g (2 1/2 cups) icing sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp corn syrup (light preferably)
1 1/2 Tbsp water
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1 Tbsp butter

1 cup semisweet chocolate
2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp cream

Mix together the icing sugar, corn syrup, water, peppermint extract and butter with an electric mixer.  The mix will be crumbly, don't worry!  Dump onto the counter lightly dusted with icing sugar and knead until it turns into a smooth ball.  With a rolling pin roll the ball out to 1/4 inch thick.  Stick in the freezer for 10 minutes.

With a small circle cookie cutter (I used the open end of a shot glass) punch out the peppermint patties.  Move to a plate and freeze for another 10 minutes.  Don't forget to re-roll the scraps and punch out more, you wouldn't want any of this to go to waste!

Melt the chocolate, butter and cream in a double broiler, stirring until melted and smooth.  Drop the peppermint patties in and immerse in chocolate.  Scoop out with a fork and try to tap off the excess and smooth the top.  Transfer to a lined baking sheet.  Freeze again until firm, or about 20 minutes.  Store in the fridge for up to a week.  

1 comment:

  1. I love Peppermint Patties for as long as i can remember. I have been looking to find out how to make them and now I think I have.

    ReplyDelete