Pages

January 18, 2011

Beet and Pearl Barley Salad



Of all the thing I've recently cooked and neglected to show you here, the most memorable, or at least the thing I'd like to eat the most: pearl barley and beet salad with goat cheese and green onion.  That name pretty much says it all, if you go and throw those things together you have a meal.  But in the interest of an easy recipe I'll give it to you.

It's vibrant and takes advantage of our local beets, something I haven't been doing.  The original idea was to soak some minced red onion in water while the beets and barley cooked, but I forgot to buy some so I used a lot of extra green onion.


I've had a package of pearl barley in my cupboard forever and wanted to use it up before our trip.  I've used it in the  beef barley stoup we love and I used the rest of it here.  It's got an awesome texture and a slight nutty flavour to it.  I'm already sorry the bag is gone and when we get back I'll buy another bag right away.


Beet and Pearl Barley Salad


Makes 5 cups, about 4 meals (or 3 for shane and I)


Instead of goat cheese, feta would be really good.  If you choose to, go easy on seasoning with salt, feta is really salty.


3 medium sized beets
1 cup pearl barley
1/2 red onion, finely diced
4-5 green onions sliced fine (plus a little more for garnish)
4 oz goat cheese
1 T olive oil
1 1/2 T fresh lemon juice

Heat the oven to 450 F.  Cut the tops and bottoms off the beets and cover with tin foil.  Roast in oven for 30-45 minutes.  Until tender when pierced with a fork.  Peel and dice to beets into small cubes.

Cut up the red onion and soak in cold water for half an hour.

Meanwhile, Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan.  Add the barley and 1/2 t salt.  Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes or so, until the barley is al dente.  If there is leftover liquid drain and return barley to pan.  Cover to keep warm.

Drain red onion.  Combine goat cheese, barley, red onion, green onion and beets in mixing bowl, toss with lemon juice and olive oil.  Taste mixture and salt and pepper as needed.  Garnish with green onion.

1 comment:

  1. oh, wow.. what an extremely beautiful presentation. and the ingredients offer lots of flavour and nutrition.. mmm!
    I only have one question-barley to be cooked al dente? the best way to cook barley I find is the way Chinese people cook rice - until it absorbs all the given water. The result is soft, yet not overcooked grain. although it looks like you've got the result whatever the method:) yummm:)

    ReplyDelete