Pages

November 14, 2010

Peanut Butter Chocolate Pudding


Do you ever have those moments when your recipe list is a mile long, but you see something you know will jump right to the top?  Usually it’s a flavour. Something you didn’t know you were craving, but nothing will seem right until it’s in your hands (and in your belly.)  Maybe it’s just me. Maybe it’s because my world revolves around food and my brain just isn’t quite wired like everyone else's. I guess that makes you kind of lucky, because I’m bringing you this recipe exactly 48 hours after I first laid eyes on it and not a moment to soon.
This recipe sat with me because of the flavours. Peanut butter and chocolate, two of my absolute favorites.  If there is a combination I know will never quit working, it’s these two.   Pudding has been on my mind lately, popping up all around me so I can never quite forget. Natasha, this recipe is for you because I know it’s been on your mind too.  

The chocolate layer is not to sweet, but rich and dark and the peanut butter layer is light and sweetens the whole pot up nicely.  I added whipped cream and purposely didn’t sweeten it. It didn’t need it.  Even though I know it’s a pain in the butt, I recommend that you add the whipped cream too.  It adds a wonderful contrast in texture.  Cooked pudding is a lot thicker than the instant stuff, it’s more like a a nice thick ganache, so a little goes a long way!  I lapped this pudding up. Right to the very last drop it was smooth, creamy, thick and totally easy. So if I come over to your kitchen I better not see a boxed pudding mix stashed away somewhere. Your body, and taste buds, deserve better.

What about you?  What is your ‘can’t wait’ recipe?
Peanut Butter and Chocolate Pudding  
a half batch of this made 5 servings for me
Peanut butter layer
100g (1/2 c) sugar
1 T cornstarch
 1/8 t salt
1 3/4 c milk
1/2 c cream
1/2 c natural peanut butter
1 t vanilla
Chocolate layer
75 g (6 T) sugar
1 T cornstarch 
2 T cocoa powder
1/8 t salt
1 1/2 c milk
1/2 c cream
4 oz bitter or unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 t vanilla
1/2 c whipped cream
For the peanut butter layer mix the first three ingredients in a medium saucepan.  Slowly incorporate milk and cream.  Place over medium heat and stir often until the mixture comes to a boil.  Boil for 20 or so seconds, whisking constantly so it doesn’t burn and then beat in peanut butter.  Boil until thick whisking often for about 30 seconds.  Immediately take off heat, stir in vanilla.  Divide pudding into 8-10 serving cups.  Chill uncovered while you make the chocolate layer.
For the chocolate layer mix together first four ingredients in a large saucepan (or just rinse the other pot, if you, like me, don’t have a dish washer).  Gradually whisk in milk and cream.  Bring to a boil stirring frequently over medium heat.  Boil until thick, whisking constantly for about 20 seconds, then add the chopped chocolate and stir while melting until the mixture boils for another minute.  Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla.  Let the mixture sit for around 5 minutes.  Divide mixture among dishes and refrigerate uncovered until cold, at least two hours.  

Before serving whip cream and spoon over pudding.  

1 comment:

  1. I have to say that this pudding cup was the nicest thing I have tasted in a long time. I really enjoyed it. I have the best daughter-in-law!
    Thank you Alyssa! <3

    ReplyDelete