Pages

November 20, 2010

Simple Squash Soup


I’m bringing you the first savory recipe on this site, butternut squash soup.  It’s a quick dinner, that I decided to post on a whim, excuse the picture, I wanted to eat.  It’s darn simple in both preparation and ingredients but really tasty and comforting. 

I like my squash soups on the thinner side so that I don’t feel like I am eating baby food.  You could always choose to make yours thicker.
Butternut Squash Soup

I thought this would have been even better with a little goat cheese crumbled on top, but when I went to get some I found I was out.  If you wanted to knock it up a level you could add some chopped toasted nuts to the top along with said goat cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.

I ate mine with my favourite salty biscuit.


1 T olive oil
1/4 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 small butternut squash, diced
2 c vegetable or chicken stock
a few sprigs of thyme
Heat a medium saucepan with oil.  Add onion, sauté for two minutes, stirring add garlic.  Cook one more minute before adding squash.  Bring stock with vegetables to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.  When the squash is done cooking add in thyme leaves.  Puree with hand held blender and season with salt and pepper.  

No comments:

Post a Comment