Pages

March 8, 2011

Crack Toffee Crunch

This has to be the best way to use up soda crackers, ever known to man.  When I saw the crack in the name I said, bah, it won't get me.  But it did, I can't walk through the kitchen without grabbing a piece and stuffing it in my gullet.  It's extremely addictive, its a good thing I leave for work soon, or my thighs would hate me.

Crack Toffee Crunch


From Smitten Kitchen

35-40 saltine crackers, one package
200g (1 c) brown sugar
250 g (1 c) butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
a pinch of sea salt
1 1/2 c dark or semisweet chocolate chips
1 c toasted and chopped walnut, pecans or almonds

Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Line a 11x9 inch baking pan with tin foil, and then the bottom with a piece of parchment cut to fit.

Line the pan with saltine cracks, making sure the whole surface is covered.

In a medium pan over medium heat, bring the butter and sugar to a boil.  Once it starts to boil, stirring constantly, cook for three minutes.  Remove it from heat and add vanilla and salt.  Pour the candy mixture on top of the crackers and spread evenly very quickly (it sets fast.)

Bake the crackers for 15 minutes, watching closely so the edges don't burn.  Reduce the heat if needed.

Remove the pan from the oven and immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips over top.  Let them sit for 3-5 minutes before spreading the chocolate evenly over the top.  Sprinkle chopped nuts over the chocolate and press nuts carefully into the chocolate.

After it cools completely you can chop up the candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment