Pages

March 3, 2011

Crunchy-Top Pear and Apricot Muffin

Wow, I am really not doing to hot on the photography front.  I guess I feel stuck, bored by the lighting and props that I've got.  When I do put some effort into it I often feel it doesn't come out all that much greater.  So here are some crappy photographs to explain my awesome food.

It's getting down to crunch time, as I've expressed countless times and clearing out the cupboards takes some definite thought.  Some things are easy, the pasta, quinoa, rice, easy as pie, but others, mango chutney, soda crackers and pomegranate syrup all involve a lot more thought.

Here is an example of easy, from the pantry number who-knows-how-many, they are crunchy-top pear muffins.  I had one pear ready to expire, a few leftover dried apricots and a handful of cashews, a muffin.

Crunchy-Top Pear and Apricot Muffin

I have to stay that using cashews in the crumb topping is not ideal.  Better suited would be walnuts or pecans, but those were not in my pantry.

Ingredients
185g all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
100g rolled oats
100g brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 c canola oil
1 pear, peeled and diced
1/3 c dried apricots, small dice

Topping
50 g brown sugar
1/3 c chopped nuts

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Line a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.  

Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a medium sized bowl.  Add the oats and brown sugar, stir together.  Whisk together the eggs, yogurt and canola oil until well beaten.  Pour into dry mixture and carefully mix to combine.  Fold the pear and apricots in, being careful not to over mix.  Evenly distribute the batter between the cups.

To make the crumble, mix the nuts and brown sugar together.  Gently press a little of the mixture onto the top of each muffin.  Bake for 20-25 minutes until they are golden.  

No comments:

Post a Comment