Pages

March 4, 2011

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I finally found an acceptable, make-again oatmeal raisin cookie.  Here in this house we are very picky about our cookies, we've got our stand-bys and IF I'm going to try a new recipe, it better be good.  This produces a wonderful chewy, yet crisp cookie.  I know they look flat in the pictures, but I found that if you leave them in the ball shape instead of flattening them before you pop them in the oven they stay much thicker.  Either way they are awesome, with a great spice level and a delicious texture.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


This recipe is only slightly adapted from David Lebovitz.  I want to point out that the grams and cups measurements don't line up in the recipe, this is a problem on the DL site too.  I haven't figured out what to do about it, I think it has to do with European ingredients versus American ones.  I would highly suggest using a scale for accuracy here, or if that is not an option email me and I will try to figure it out for you.


I halved this recipe without any issues whatsoever.


Ingredients
225 g (1 c) unsalted butter, room temperature
150 g (2/3 c) white sugar
200 g (1 c) light brown sugar
2 eggs
245 g (1 3/4 c) ap flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg (or pre ground if necessary)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
175 g (1 3/4 c) old fashioned rolled oats
240 g (1 1/2 c) raisins


Directions
In a large electric mixing bowl combine the butter and two sugars.  Beat until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.  Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each.

In another large bowl sift together flour, baking soda, salt and spices.  Stir in the oats and raisins.  On low speed gradually incorporate the dry ingredients to the wet ones until very well distributed.

Here you can refrigerate the dough for several hours to develop flavour and also firm the dough.  I skipped this step because I was to darn lazy this time around.  Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment.

Drop the dough in 50 g or 1/4 c sized balls onto the baking sheet. (I could only fit 6 to a sheet.)  Flatten top slightly with your hand (if you refrigerated the dough.)  Bake the cookies for 15-20 minutes or until they take on some colour, but be careful not to overbake.

No comments:

Post a Comment