Pages

August 8, 2011

Jalapeno-Apricot Jelly

You too must go to the market sometimes and loose all will and self control.  I know I do, I went for one thing and came home with half a dozen of the other.  It was jalapenos that seduced me this time.  What would I do with 9 jalapenos when the tomatoes weren't ready?  Jalapeno jelly of course!  I also bought a bag, far too big, of apricots so I put the two together.  The results turned out so well!  We've been eating it on everything, zuchinni fritters, cheese and crackers, even on top of a cheeseburger which was a very good decision.  Everyone like this, I think you will too.

Jalapeno-Apricot Jelly


Be sure to use gloves when handling the peppers and wash your hands and surfaces very well afterwards to avoid getting the oils on your skin.


Ingredients:
350 g apricot puree
180 g (about 6) jalapeno puree
1 cup cider vinegar, divided
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
600 g (3 cups) sugar
1 red chili, diced finely
1 jalapeno, diced finely
1 pouch liquid pectin

Directions:
Puree pitted (not peeled) apricots with 1/2 cup of cider vinegar.  Place in a medium sized pot.  Puree seeded and veined jalapenos with another 1/2 cup cider vinegar.  Add to the pot.  (You could puree all at once, but my big food processor bowl is broken.) You could also use a blender to puree the mix.

To the sauce pot add the lemon juice and sugar.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and stirring often let boil for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and add the liquid pectin.  Stir it in well and add the two diced peppers.  Stir for five minutes off the heat to let the mixture cool so the peppers don't float to the top.

Ladle the jelly into jars, I used 125 mL for their-eat in one sitting-use, so I don't have half open jars in my fridge all the time.  Clean the rims and add the lids.  Process in a water bath for 10 minutes.  I finished with 7 jars and some in a container we didn't seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment