Pages

August 25, 2011

Plum-Rosemary Fizz

It's plum-o-palooza here at Chez Alyssa, so here we go again!  This is totally cocktail number two for me this summer. (The first was my summer sangria.)  It might not be a big deal to you but it sure is for me!  Making cocktails is on a few different lists around the house including a 21 by 21 I've got happening.  This drink was a product of a few ripe plums and the inviting and slightly intriguing scent of rosemary as I brushed by.

Because Erin was coming over it felt like the perfect time to pull it out.  I got the recipe from another cool website and followed it to a T, though there isn't all that much variation to be had, since I don't have a clue what I'm doing.  I did go ahead and add a shot of rum to each, to live on the wild side (chuckle, chortle, cough.)  Santa Rosa plums were my choice again, they are after all my favourite.  They are very juicy and flavourful but by far the hardest plums to pit.  They kinda just smoosh around a bunch, but if you slice them over the glass the juice ends up in the drink.  This recipe makes about 5 drinks, depending how sweet you like your sip.

Plum-Rosemary Fizz


Ingredients:
200 g (1 cup) sugar
1 cup water
4-5 rosemary sprigs
2 very ripe plums
Club Soda
rum to taste
crushed ice, optional

Start!
To make a rosemary syrup, crush the rosemary in your hand to get the oils going.  Drop into a small pot and add sugar and water.  Bring to a boil and simmer until the sugar is dissolved.  Place in the fridge to cool.  Take the rosemary out once cooled.

To make the drinks:  Briefly peel the plum, this is so it doesn't stick together so well and slap up against your chin as you pull the glass from your mouth (this happened...a few times.)  Muddle about 1/4-1/3 of the peach in the bottom of each glass, to break it up.  Add one or two shots of rosemary syrup to the glass and as much rum as you like.  Top with club soda and (optionally) serve over ice.  Garnish with rosemary if you wish.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment