Pages

September 13, 2011

Happenings - September 13


The bulk of my tomatoes still ripening on the vine came off yesterday.  There wern't that many, production was so slow because of our weather, but also because they were in planters.  I find my tomatoes never do as good in containers as when they are in the ground.  Next years will be much better, I'll make sure of that.  I made this BLT salad and also canned a batch of heirloom tomato jam, which, if I'm correct should be pretty darn good with a sharp white cheddar.  But I'll let you know that later.

Mom and I went shopping in the states yesterday and I finally bought a pair of boots.  I've only been searching for two years!  These ones cost $35, which is half the price of anything I can find here.  At Costco I bought 44 uncooked tortillas, 1 litre of maple syrup and for $10 bought 4lbs of unsalted butter!!  I'm a happy camper now.
I had started a Portuguese sweet bread on Sunday but ran out of time to cook it, so I threw it in the fridge and took it out as soon as I got home on Monday, 3pm.  I wait patiently for it to rise, but it never came around and finally at 8:45 I stuck it in the oven for 50 minutes.  Unfortunately I didn't take it out soon enough and the internal temperature rose too high.  The bread came out dry and disappointing.  This recipe came from The Bread Baker's Apprentice, I don't think I'll try it again, it just wasn't worth the effort.  Next!

No comments:

Post a Comment