Pages

October 23, 2011

Cauliflower Curry Casserole


I'm not one to make a typical casserole.  There are no shepherds pies or tater-tot concoctions happening in my oven. I don't touch canned soup mixes (except in my very favourite childhood-sloppy joes) and I'm not really down with taco pie.  But I do love a good one pot meal, so you'd think I'd be a little more into this.  My grandmother made a chicken curry bake last time I was there for dinner which was pretty darn good.  I brought the idea home with me and stewed on it for a while.  Finally, with a head of cauliflower starting to mold I whipped it out, cauliflower casserole it would be.  Oddly enough my grandpa stopped by early this morning with a huge bag full of green beans, so in they went.  I really aught to call this Grandma's Curry Casserole except it's nothing like hers, thanks for the inspiration anyway!

This isn't a quick recipe, there are steps involved.  First you cook the rice.  While that is happening you start cooking the cauliflower and beans.  You whip up some milk and eggs and grate some cheese with your third arm and then it goes in the oven for a bit of a rest.  When it comes out all gooey, chewy and complex you are allowed to dig in.  Indulge really, it's good for you!

Cauliflower Curry Casserole


1 cup wild rice, cooked (makes 4-ish cups cooked)
3 Tbsp butter
1 head cauliflower, broken into smaller florets
two handfuls bean, chopped into inch long pieces
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1 cup onion, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp coriander seed
1/2 tsp powdered yellow mustard
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375F.  Cook the rice according to package.  Mine needed 35 minutes boiling and then the extra water strained out.  While the rice is cooking heat the butter on medium heat in a saucepan.  Add the onions, garlic, ginger and all spices.  Cook for a few minutes until the onions start to fry and the spices smell good.  Add the cauliflower and beans to the pan, stirring occasionally.  Cook 15-20 minutes until the cauliflower is mostly cooked through.  While the pans are cooking on the stove combine the milk and eggs in a bowl and grate the cheese separately.

Spread the rice into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan.  Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese on the rice, top with 1/2 of the vegetables.  Sprinkle most of the cheese on this layer.  Top with the rest of the vegetables and remaining cheese.  Place in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the casserole is set.  Makes 4 big servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment