Pages

October 18, 2011

Cranberry Turkey Salad

This is a sandwich born from leftovers, though to be honest I was looking forward to them very much.  It's a turkey cranberry salad and very good.  It's not just turkey and cranberry though, it's apple, pecans and rosemary that really bring it into the light!  I find myself craving this for lunch more often than not, it's surprisingly addictive.  Turkey is what I used, but chicken would obviously substitute well.  Chicken salad is one of my all time favourites after all, right after a BLT, which is the ultimate in my book, but only available in tomato season.  Well that is not quite true, I slow roasted tomatoes and buried them in the freezer this year, to be revealed when my BLT hankering is to strong an urge to squash.  But that is neither here nor there since I didn't bring you that recipe!  Promise to set aside a little turkey after your next feast and try this monstrously good sandwich.
Cranberry Turkey Salad

Leftover roasted turkey, enough for four sandwiches (or poached or roasted chicken, 2 breasts)
1/2 cup dried cranberries, cut small
1/3 cup crisp apple, cut into small chunks
1/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1 shallot, minced
1/3 cup thick yogurt
2 Tbsp mayo
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp rosemary, chopped small

Cook the turkey or chicken any way you see fit.  Shred the meat into manageable bite sized pieces, about 1/2 inch cubes.

Mix together the yogurt, mayo, vinegar and rosemary in a small bowl.

In a larger bowl mix the turkey, cranberries, apple, pecans and shallot.  Add the dressing to the mix and taste for seasoning.  Serve chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment