Pages

November 27, 2012

ThanksNovember D27 (&Chocolate-Mint Cookies!)


I'm thankful for Christmas.
I really really am.
Even if I just want to run away from it this year.
I'm so thankful I get to give gifts from my heart and my hands.
I'm thankful for merry making and joy.
I'm thankful for holiday songs and sing-a-longs 
(in the privacy of my kitchen of course).
I'm thankful for decorations and crafts.
I'm thankful for shiny ornaments and paper snowflakes.
I'm thankful for Christmas mugs, my favourite.
I'm thankful for Christmas magazines and taper candles.
I'm thankful blue lights around my door and cedar branches throughout my house.
I'm thankful for nutcrackers and snowflakes.
And did I mention the Christmas music?
To go with all thing Christmas (and decorating) I bring you Chocolate-Mint Cookies:
Feast.

Chocolate-Mint Cookies

Serves: 45 or so.
Source: Cook's Country December/January 2013

12 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cup (10.5oz) packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp water
2 cups (12 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
2 1/2 cups (12.5 oz) flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
45 creme de menthe andes mints (I don't know what these are, I used york patties cut in half)

Combine butter, sugar and water in a medium saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted, about 3 minutes.  Add chocolate chips, stirring constantly, until melted.  Transfer into the bowl of a stand mixer and let cool for about 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, combine flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.

Fit mixer with paddle attachment, add eggs to bowl with chocolate mixture and beat on medium-high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.  Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in three addition, mixing only until just combined.  Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.  Refrigerate the dough until it is firm, at least one hour and up to 2 days.  

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.  Roll heaping tablespoons of dough into balls and place 2 inches apart on baking sheet.  Bake for 6 minutes, then, working quickly open the oven door and place 1 piece of york patty on top of each cookie. Close the door and bake cookies for 2 minutes longer.  Let cookies stand on baking sheets for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.  Using a spoon spread the chocolate over the top of the cookie.  Let cool completely before serving.  Cookies can be stored at room temperature for 3 days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment